As you sit back and enjoy the glow of the flames it is worth remembering that chimneys require proper maintenance otherwise they can become dangerous. Soot is corrosive and is a highly combustible material and a soot-lined chimney is a fire risk.
There are over 6,000 chimney fires each year in England, most of which are preventable. Many people are unaware that insurance companies are reluctant to pay claims for damage where chimneys have not been properly maintained.
Costertons Chimney Sweeps is pleased to give you the following information to help you enjoy your home fires safely this winter:
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
- Sweep chimney before heating season as birds can nest and block chimneys
- Extinguish embers properly before you go to bed
- Always use a fire guard to protect against sparks from hot embers
- Do not burn unseasoned wet wood
- Ensure appropriate chimney pot and cowl in place to provide adequate draw
- Provide adequate ventilation
- Fit and maintain smoke alarms and carbon monoxide monitors
Don’t delay...book your sweep today!